So in my previous post I mentioned that our hotel was in historic Monterey. Most people probably wouldn't think that this was a positive. But I sure did! I love to delve into the history of the places I travel to. (And the public library, always the public library.) Monterey is sure rich with history! Monterey is the first capital of California, though not the official first capital. Meaning that California's constitution was written and signed in Monterey, but the signers made San Jose the first official capital of California. Jenna and I saw the signatures of the people who signed the constitution, and one of them belonged to was General Vallejo! In my mind's eye, I can see him traveling from his house in Sonoma to the convention to make sure California had a good constitution. Really cool to connect the dots of my vacations!
 |
Colton Hall. Where California's Constitution was signed.
|
 |
| In front of Colton Hall. |
Monterey had funding awhile back to restore many of the historic buildings. Afterward, they lost the funding and so the town made "The Path of History". The Path is made up of yellow ceramic circles that are laid into the sidewalk, and lead you past all (well, many) of the prominent historic buildings of the area. I had a map, but I didn't need one since I could just get on and follow the Path. If I lost my way, I would just look for the yellow circles and I knew I was back on the Path of History. In addition to signs outside the building, there is a number you can call, and when you enter in a specific stop number, a recording will tell you a little bit of the history of the place. I think I went to every place that had a stop number. Here are just a few pictures of our multi-week adventure.
 |
| Monterey had a lot of enclosed gardens. This one is behind the First Theater. An oasis in the middle of a busy city. And a good place to get out the wiggles! |
 |
| Customs House near Fisherman's Wharf. |
.jpg) |
| Casa Soberanes |
 |
I want this bedroom! In the Cooper-Molera Adobe. The guy who built this place had to take on a Spanish name (Molera) to own the land. And he married General Vallejo's sister. Oh, and when I was in the gardens here I ran into a playgroup!
|
 |
| Sherman's Quarters. General William T Sherman (yes, the Civil War guy), spent some time in Monterey in 1847. This building is located in the gardens of the Larkin house (sorry the picture is bad, I should have crossed the street). |
 |
| View from the Presidio (military base). Yes, that is my German car. I am reading a book called "HHhH" about WWII and every time I think "German car" feel a little bit guilty. But I love my used car! Did you know in WWII, the Polish tried to use cavalry? They didn't last long and around that time the USA decided to retire their own cavalry. |
When I went to the Old Whaling Station, a sign said, "Knock for Admittance", so I knocked. Turns out the place is the headquarters for the Daughters of the Revolution or the Junior League or something like that. I don't think the lady who answered the door was supposed to let me in, but she allowed me access to the inside. The stairs going up to the second floor had a second step that was taller than the other steps by a few inches (three?). It was known as a burglar step and was designed to trip and catch burglars.
.jpg) |
| Upstairs bathroom. |
.jpg) |
Back sitting room.
|
.jpg) |
| Back view. The sitting room is the window by the bench and the bathroom is the set of second story windows on the left. |
No comments:
Post a Comment