Monday, January 28, 2013

Independence, MO

Sunday, January 13
and 
Monday, January 14
and 
Wednesday, January 16
 
Independence is a place full of history. It was a place where the members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints lived for a time. And what a time it was! It is the headquarters of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It was where many people officially left "civilized" country when they headed out on the Santa Fe and Oregan Trails. Former United States President Harry Truman called this place home. The Civil War was fought here. Wow, wow, wow! So much history!

And not only history, but important history. History that has changed the course of so many lives across the world. History that helped abolish slavery. History that settled the land and made it possible to become the United States. History that set in motion God's Church again on the earth, with revelation, prophets and priesthood. Wow, wow, wow!

I have gone to many history spots. I have been to my fair share of tourist traps. Places that you feel have tried to eek out a little bit of something to make a few coins. But this place was different. The very air felt different to me. On Wednesday as I was driving out of Independence for what I figure will be the last time ever, I was a little sad. I think I may have driven a little bit slower. I didn't want to leave so much importance, so much history, behind.









In the LDS visitor's center driving a LDS Pioneer wagon







Sitting on the Independence Temple site












 Sitting on a field with wagon swills (where many wagons took off on their journey west)


 


 



 



                     Truman's house









On the right: A plaque honoring the start of the Oregon Trail
In the middle: A statue dedicated to Harry Truman
Building on the far left: The site of the former W.W. Phelps print shop where the pages of the D&C were saved


 

No comments:

Post a Comment