Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Manning the Home Front and Abigail Adams

As my husband is in California I feel akin to Abigail Adams who's husband was in Europe for 8 years on assignment from his fellow Founders (he was only supposed to be gone for 6 months!).

Our similarities:
She missed him terribly, as I miss mine
She was supportive of the reason for his absence but still didn't have to love it, as do I
She had to stay to take care of income, as I need to do

Our differences:
She let him leave for the good of the new nation and I let mine leave to help the future of only our family
She didn't know h0w long she would be without him and I know to the day when I'll see Steve again
She had to raise her children while he was away and I do not

I take comfort in our similarites and our differences

(My commentaries on Abigail come from my reaction to a book called "Founding Mothers: The Women Who Raised Our Nation" by Cokie Roberts.)

No comments:

Post a Comment